Via Appia Antica,
224, 00179 Roma, Italy
Phone: +88 (0) 101 0000 000


Follow us

St. Kitts & Nevis


Subscribe to
Digital Magazines

Legal Requirements For Getting Married In St. Kitts & Nevis


Getting married in St. Kitts is very easy and no residency is required.  Couples planning a St. Kitts Caribbean wedding are only required to obtain a marriage license and have the following documents:

A valid passport or photo I.D. for each party.

Original or certified copy of their birth certificates.

An affidavit confirming single status if a party has never been married before.

If a party is divorced, a decree absolute (an original or certified copy showing the court’s stamp or seal) must be presented.

If a party is widowed, a copy of the death certificate of the deceased spouse must be presented.

If documents are not in English they must be accompanied by a notarized translation.

If a Catholic priest is to perform the ceremony, the couple must receive marriage counseling session from their parish priest and submit the required Catholic documents.  A letter must come from the couple’s resident priest verifying that they are unmarried and that they have received the necessary instructions.  All Catholic weddings take place in a church.

If an Anglican or other minister of religion is to perform the ceremony, it is recommended that a letter be brought from the couple’s resident minister verifying that they are known and unmarried.


Marriage licenses are obtained through the Legal Department in the Administration Building.  Application forms must be completed in the presence of a Justice of the Peace.  Forms are available from the Legal Department or at the Magistrates Court in Charlestown.  The following documents are required:

If either party is a widow or widower, they must have a copy of the death certificate of the deceased spouse.

If a party has never been married, an affidavit confirming their single status is required which can be obtained from a Notary Public in the home country or via a Notary Public on Nevis.

Both parties must have a valid passport or birth certificate with photo I.D.

If either party is divorced, they must have the original or a notarized copy of the Decree Absolute. If it is not in English, a notarized translation is required.

If the marriage is to be conducted by a specific minister or priest, it must take place at the respective church and both parties must have a letter from their home minister or priest verifying that they are known and unmarried.  In addition, if the marriage is to take place in a Roman Catholic Church, the home priest must verify that they have received all required instruction. For wedding packages in the Caribbean, contact a Caribbean Weddings specialist today!