Via Appia Antica,
224, 00179 Roma, Italy
Phone: +88 (0) 101 0000 000


Follow us

Trinidad & Tobago


Subscribe to
Digital Magazines

Legal Requirements For Getting Married In Trinidad & Tobago

Couples wanting to get married must first give Notice of Marriage in person at a Civil Registry office. This includes those who wish to get married through a religious ceremony in a church.  If any one of the parties is subject to Immigration Control they must contact the Registrar General to request permission to marry in Trinidad and Tobago.

Before giving Notice of Marriage the parties must:

Make an appointment to give notice in person at the registrar's office. If either or both parties are not citizens of Trinidad and Tobago, they should contact the Registrar General’s Office before giving Notice of Marriage. Getting married in Trinidad and Tobago or to a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago gives no automatic right to remain or reside in the country.

Know the venue for the marriage, such as a registrar's office, church or other location.

Bring the following documents to the appointment:

Permission to marry if you are not a National of Trinidad & Tobago.

Evidence of identity - such as a National I.D. Card, Driver's Permit or Passport.

Proof of address - such as a utility bill.

If one of the parties has been married before, they must provide evidence that the marriage has ended (i.e., original decree absolute for divorce or death certificate, if the previous spouse has died.

At least seven days must have elapsed from the date of giving notice before the marriage can take place. The notice is valid for one year.